prim

prim

prim

prim

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Almost Time to Really Move

I get my new old house next week, have some painting and freshening up to do, but the house is really gorgeous already. Here is where I am going to get into big trouble. This is the dining room as the former owners live there:



Now, I am going to paint the crown molding cream and the walls blue. Pretty, right? Well, here is the problem--you know I'll paint an antique without a pang of regret, no matter that the experts tell me to cut it out. This, however is a little trickier--guess who picked the current colors in this dining room? GRANT FREAKING WOOD! Yes, the American Gothic artist, son of Iowa, one of my favorite artists, oversaw the painting of the crown molding in 1938, and he would pick a color I don't like. Silly, huh? If they had never told me, I would have been painting without a thought except to get rid of that green and peach. Now, I have to feel guilty, but I'm still going to do it.

Here is the next house problem--the entry parlor. Grasscloth is what is on the walls, also from the 1938 remodel of this 1870 home, and I all I can think of is the Tiki Room at Disney. I see this room papered in blue damask, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the grasscloth is going to be a horror to remove, so I may embrace the Tiki and go for a British Colonial study look instead of my gorgeous blue paper, we'll have to see.



House is mine on Friday! (Well, it's the bank's house, but I get to live there)

No comments:

Post a Comment