prim

prim

prim

prim

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Iowa City Home Tour


Grace and I spent Sunday at the Iowa City Parade of Homes, which is where the builders showcase new homes they have just built and they stage the interiors and it is a lot of fun to tour them. If I had my way, I'd live in the old neighborhoods, so few of them left in Iowa City, as the university students need housing, so they either turned the old houses into hovels to rent or tore them down to build apartments. Here is one neighborhood left, our favorite walking place. The first house was Grant Wood's home when he lived in Iowa City (now putting on my art teacher hat--Grant Wood most famous for his painting American Gothic, portrait of a depression era farm couple in front of a small farmhouse with a Gothic window--interesting that the house is now a rental, last I heard, a young woman living there is getting famous selling pies...---if you are ever in Iowa, be sure to visit the library at Iowa State U in Ames, Wood's murals are some of my favorite art in the world.) The other Victorians are around Summit St., and the little stone cottages are Mott homes built for workers at a local factory so many years ago--we call them the Snow White houses.





1 comment:

  1. Hi Elaine...now I'm just a little grumpy!! Those houses are just to die for! I would live in each and every one of them at the drop of a hat, they are wicked!! And one of them looks like your house in Clarinda!
    Oh, lucky, lucky you lot over there! We do have houses similar over here, but they cost an arm and a leg...and a kidney and liver!! Makes me feel like I'm living in a rabbit hutch now! I have neighbours adjoining one side of the house, as we are End-terraced...now then, I MUST get a lottery ticket this weekend....
    Chat soon,
    Love Karen xx

    ReplyDelete