prim

prim

prim

prim

Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Day in Galena


Usually, we can make a spur of the moment trip to our favorite little antique towns without a hitch, but boy did we pick the wrong day to go to Galena--I swear, one million people decided to spend the weekend in that tiny town, all because of a Halloween parade, it seems. Having grown up in small towns, I've seen many many small town parades, so I guess I don't quite understand the entire city of Chicago driving all the way to Galena to see this parade. It was just the usual--VFW guys in front with the flags, followed by the fire trucks running the sirens and throwing candy, and the high school band playing off key as they marched. I guess it is charming, but I am telling you the crowds seemed Rose Parade size to me. So, anyway, we had to park a million miles from main street, which turned out to be nice as the weather was beautiful and the walk was lovely. Galena has all these odd antebellum homes built on the hillsides, not a square box among them, all so unique. There are hardly any antique stores left in town, and to think, that is all that used to be there (now the town is filled with gift shops). I got my shopping fix by stopping on the way in Monticello and Cascade. Cascade is home of Annie's Treasures, an old church turned primitive paradise. They were all decked out for Christmas, and I was very inspired to come home and add more holiday cheer to my repertoire. I found all these mashers as I drove across the country during vacation. I did them all up in Christmas colors, love how they turned out and they are all just a little different!

No comments:

Post a Comment