prim

prim

prim

prim

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Unexpected Remodeling

Most of my life, I have lived in broken down old houses. When I was a newlywed, my husband and I, with more enthusiasm than sense, decided to remodel an old farmhouse all by ourselves. We made so many mistakes, but by the time we sold that and bought our little Victorian cottage, we were pretty good at the whole house fix up. Then, we sold the cottage and bought the money pit, the big Queen Anne that sucked the life out of us for 8 years. We had gutted and redone that whole house except for one room when we went off to China to adopt our first daughter. I shut the door to the room and declared that I wasn't ever opening it again, but eventually we finished that too. Now that we have moved to Iowa City, old houses just cost too darn much, so we bought a new one. Interestingly enough, this new house has an appliance curse on it. We were here 6 months when the oven heating coil actually exploded, flames shooting out of the oven. We bought a new stove. One year later, the oven controls just stopped working, my husband had to install a new circuit panel to fix it. The microwave stopped working, had to be replaced. The dishwasher broke its seal, my husband had to replace that. It got clogged. He fixed that. This week, the oven controls went out again. I turned around, and the dishwasher was pouring water all over the floor again. Nothing to do but just stand there and try to decide whether to laugh or cry. This turned into good husband stating he was done repairing bad appliances, first suggesting we really live the pioneer life with a wood cook stove and a wash basin. Later, we went to look to replace the stove and glory be, I have all new appliances arriving at the end of the week, my kitchen might be beautiful at last. The only thing that worries me is the expectation that I actually clean now....

No comments:

Post a Comment